Considering a pergola for your home is great, but there are many factors to think about before landing on your ideal structure. Which materials do you choose? Ultimately, you want to weigh the pros and cons of the different materials available, and today we’ll be discussing why colorbond pergolas are preferred over timber pergolas in Sydney. Continue reading for more insight.
Why You Should Choose Colorbond
You have thought long and hard about adding a pergola to your home, but you are stuck on deciding which materials to invest in. You want the structure for years to come, so how do you ensure that you get the best quality? Take a look at these compelling reasons why you should choose colorbond over timber for your next build:
- No need for painting or maintenance – timber pergolas are prone to bowing and rotting, ultimately giving it a short lifespan whether it has been treated or not. Colorbond steel, however, is resistant to corrosion, rusting, bending and flaking, giving it a much longer lifespan while still looking good as new for years to come.
- Seamlessly connected – steel pergolas are seamlessly connected, improving their strength and aesthetic appeal.
- Modern look – steel pergolas typically look more modern than timber pergolas as they do not wear away as timber does.
- No need to paint – colorbond materials come in various colours and do not need to be painted. Timber, however, needs to be painted and treated every few years.
- Fewer posts and larger spans – steel pergolas are considerably lighter than timber, so they can cover larger spans with fewer posts, giving you more floor room around your pergola and creating a cleaner look.
- Faster construction time – steel pergolas come pre-fabricated on delivery, so the erection time is much less than that of timber pergolas. In addition, timber requires a lot of drilling, screws, cutting and more and the heavier weight means more difficult work.
- Colorbond comes with a long warranty/guarantee – colorbond materials typically come with a material warranty and labour warranty of several years. Timber pergolas usually don’t come with a warranty at all or only one for a few years.
As you can see, steel pergolas come with many advantages, and their long life span allows you to convert them into something else later on.
If you are interested in constructing a colorbond pergola for your home in Sydney or Australia, contact us today and one of our design and build managers will help you create your perfect outdoor experience.
Kevin Pobjie grew up in Sydney and started working in the home improvements industry over 30 years ago. He is married with two children, one boy and one girl, 24 and 20. Kevin started selling awnings, pergolas and sunrooms using Hunter Douglas and Stramit before he started Wizard Home Improvements in Granville in late 2004. He is now licensed by fair-trading to build awnings.