Whether it’s to shade your patio, pergola or deck there’s awning out there for you. Awnings are a great way to add style and comfort to your home without putting a severe dent in your wallet. Of course before you can find that perfect awning you need to have a think about what it is that you want from it.
1. Style: Believe it or not there are actually a range of styles when it comes to awnings. From free-standing to folding arms to conservatory to pergola to simple window shades. The best way to work out the style that you need is to figure out what you want from your awning. Is it going to be shading a deck or patio? Go for the free-standing or folding arm and so on.
2. Material: There are primarily two materials when it comes to awnings: metal or fabric. Each have their own advantages, for instance a metal awning will be able to withstand greater heat and harsher weather while a fabric awning can be easily packed away. Keep asking yourself what it is that you want your awning to be able to do and pick the material best suited. Also, if you’re worried about your metal awning building up heat in summer or getting too cold in winter, you can get insulated awnings to beat this problem.
3. Function: Obviously the main function of an awning is to create shade but you should also consider how it works with the rest of your home. Do you want your awning to be eye-catching and make the space look inviting or do you want it to blend in and not take attention away from another aspect of your your house’s outdoor appearance?
4. Automated: If you want to be able to fold your awning away but speed and ease is critical then you might want to consider automated awnings. With a flick of a switch your awning can roll in and out of its housing and control the shade of your deck.
5. Price: This’ll probably be the most crucial factor when it comes to choosing an awning. Keep in mind that additions like automation can send that price tag up but it really all does come down to what you want, what you need and what you can afford.
To find out more about getting the right awning for you, have a read of Outdoor Awnings and the Art of Creating an All-Year Round Oasis.